If you ask someone if they know anything about ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis), most will ask if that's the disease Lou Gehrig had. The answer is Yes, but there's much more to know about this disease:
- Approximately every 90 minutes, ALS claims the life of one American.
- 5600 people in the US are diagnosed with ALS each year.
- ALS affects 2 per 10,000 people.
- As many as 30,000 Americans may have the disease at any given time.
- ALS occurs throughout the world, with no racial, ethnic or socioeconomic boundaries.
To learn more about how ALS affects people just like you, read "ALS - Anyone's Life Story" on www.als-mda.org.
There are many wonderful organizations fighting for a cure, a few are listed below. Please, help raise funds and awareness in May or any other month of the year.